POSITION: GIS TECHNICIAN
POSITION NO: 003
STARTING SALARY: $30,261 - $35,040
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT (3100)
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the maintenance of the GIS System within the Planning Department and preparation of maps for County roads, subdivisions, zoning, ownership maps, annexations, census data, and flood diagrams and coordination of data with Pulaski Area Geographic Information System (PAgis) and Arkansas Geographic Information Office (AGIO).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Utilizes GIS software to maintain GIS mapping applications inputting changes to base maps as they occur; separates digitized maps into layers of information such as base layer, streets, and hydrology.
- Plots and creates maps and other forms of informational presentations using arc information, arc plot, AML, arc view, and arc edit software; produces maps using data bases such as deeds, surveys, subdivision plats, aerial photography, topographic maps, and legal descriptions.
- Develops and maintains database for all addressing information.
- Verifies legal descriptions for annexations, rights-of-way, flood plain determination, and property ownership; ensures closure, contiguousness to municipal boundaries.
- Digitizes maps by inputting map points into computer through use of electronic drawing board and cursor.
- Define and map boundaries for school districts.
- Utilizes information and computer files from various outside agencies.
- Installs updates of information into departmental computer system as needed.
- Computes land parcel areas using mathematical functions.
- Determines insufficiencies with legal descriptions and surveys; notifies entities/property owners of any deficiencies.
- Conducts research to determine ownership of land as needed.
- Collects ground truth data in the field to verify information on aerial and topographical maps as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Work is performed in a smoking-restricted office environment with occasional work in the field.
Completion of high school with advanced training in computerized graphics, drafting, mapping, GIS or related field; considerable mapping or drafting experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Must possess or be able to immediately obtain a valid Arkansas Driver’s License.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a traffic offense check.
OPEN DATE: 10-15-20 CLOSE DATE: 10-21-20 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
15 October 2020 261-20