POSITION: DETENTION CLERK
This position is open to the General Public and County Employees.
POSITION NUMBER: 203
STARTING SALARY: $23,397 - $26,697
DEPARTMENT: SHERIFF/DETENTION (2400)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the establishment and maintenance of all files for inmate detention, input of inmate information into the computer, and the storage and record keeping of inmate property.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Establishes and maintains inmate files including information such as arresting officers’ reports, commitment paperwork, medical reports, speed letters, disciplinary reports, classification status, housing status, inmate complaints, property listing, identification information, etc.; completes needed paperwork for files.
- Distributes paperwork involved with booking procedures as required.
- Conducts ACIC/NCIC record checks for other pending charges on all arrestees.
- Updates inmate’s files and computer records as directed concerning warrants, bond amounts, and criminal charges.
- Removes inmate files from current records; files in released inmate records.
- Answers inquiries concerning inmate status from family members, attorneys, bail bond persons, and others.
- Reviews arrest reports for completion and accuracy; notifies supervisor of errors or inconsistencies.
- Receives bail bond monies or other documentation authorizing the release of inmates; verifies bail or fine payment due; forwards cash to Court Liaison Officer; forwards to supervisor for approval.
- Receives and stores inmate property; separates clothing and other property from items of high value such as jewelry, cash, and credit cards.
- Completes receipt for all property received from inmates; issues copy of receipt to inmates.
- Places property in appropriate storage unit and labels according to facility procedure; places storage bag on rack.
- Maintains security of property storage area ensuring access only to authorized personnel.
- Returns property upon release of inmates; obtains inmate signature upon release of property.
- Greets and screens visitors to inmates ensuring that visitors can provide identification and/or professional service provider credentials.
- Informs housing units of inmates having visitors.
- Enters visitor information into the inmate’s file.
- Issues visitor passes for approved visitors; collects after visitation period has ended.
- Directs visitors into public security corridors.
- Initiates and terminates visitation periods by means of intercom.
- Schedules special visits as directed by Administration.
- Maintains communication with Central Control as necessary for visitor movement in and out of corridor.
- Answers questions from public as needed.
- Answers and directs incoming telephone calls.
- Writes incident reports as requested by supervisor.
- Receives and distributes incoming mail to departmental Human Resources.
- Types or prepares with word processor correspondence, reports, forms, and other material as received; proofreads documents for accuracy.
- Duplicates, collates, and mails reports, lists, correspondence, grants, etc.
- Maintains files and other departmental records.
- Distributes memos, policies, and other correspondence to Sheriff’s Departmental staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Work is performed in a smoking-restricted office environment. Assigned shift is subject to change.
- Completion of high school or GED equivalency including training in computer data entry;
- Some experience with customer service; data entry, record keeping, property or inventory maintenance, or a related area; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience or training which provides the required skills, knowledge, or abilities.
- Must be able to obtain ACIC/NCIC Certification within 6 months.
- Must be bondable.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results of a criminal background investigation, traffic offense check, sexual offender check, and child and adult maltreatment checks.
OPEN DATE: 07-10-2019 CLOSE DATE: 07-16-2019 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
10 July 2019 281-19