POSITION: ANIMAL SERVICES OFFICER II
This position is open to County employees and the General Public
POSITION NO: 002
STARTING SALARY: $25,430 - $28,442
DEPARTMENT: ANIMAL SERVICES (3820)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the investigation of all complaints of stray animals/disturbances, issuing of warnings and/or citations for violations of the Pulaski County Animal Control Ordinance, and apprehension and impounding of stray animals; responsible for the investigation of suspected animal cruelty, abuse, and neglect and assistance in the enforcement of the animal cruelty law.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives calls from public reporting suspected animal cruelty or abuse.
- Investigates reported animal neglect, cruelty, or abuse cases by field investigation, interviewing of owners and witnesses, and inspection of animals.
- Researches records from public agencies, property records, PAGIS mapping system, etc. to attempt to identify animal ownership as necessary.
- Completes reports summarizing conditions found and determination of abuse; discusses results with animal owner.
- Confers with supervisor to determine if a case will be submitted to Prosecuting Attorney’s Office for prosecution.
- Explains animal cruelty law to public; explains case required for domestic animals and livestock.
- Performs follow-up inspections to ensure animal care instructions have been followed.
- Conducts on-site investigations concerning complaints and violations of Pulaski County Animal Service Ordinance.
- Issues warning and/or citations to citizens for violations of the ordinance.
- Apprehends stray animals or animals who have bitten someone by using a trap or snare pole as needed; uses a tranquilizer gun, if necessary to subdue the animal.
- Conducts quarantine impoundments and follow-up observation; relays information concerning status of animal to bite victims and medical staff.
- Completes daily reports for each investigation made describing the location, complaint, and action taken; submits to supervisor.
- Explains the animal control ordinance, animal cruelty statute, and all applicable regulations governing the ownership and care of pets to the public.
- Picks up dead animals utilizing appropriate safety and disposal methods.
- Cleans and inspects vehicle for proper working order on a regular basis.
- Testifies in court when needed concerning animal cruelty cases, citations issued, violations of ordinance, or other related issues as needed.
- Documents usage of tranquilizer drugs; reports documentation of usage to the provider of chemical capture drugs; maintains usage documentation records and attaches documentation to animal call response report.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures abuses animals receive all necessary medical testing and care to address conditions if resources are available.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Duties performed regularly in an outdoor environment with exposure to all types of weather conditions. Duties involve occasional contact with aggressive animals.
Completion of high school or GED equivalency; considerable experience with animal control, animal care or a related area; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Must possess or be able to immediately obtain a valid Arkansas Driver’s License.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the following pre-employment requirements: drug screening, criminal background check, traffic offense check, sexual offender check, and a pre-employment job related physical examination by appropriate licensed agencies.
Employees will be subject to random drug testing.
OPEN DATE: 11-07-2018 CLOSE DATE: 11-21-2018 (5:00 p.m.)
The Human Resource Office will be closed on Monday, November 12, 2018 in observance of the Veteran’s Day holiday.
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
07 November 2018 339-18