This position is open to County Employees and the General Public
STARTING SALARY: $36,622 - $40,959
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC DEFENDER (5000)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Assists in the preparation of criminal cases referred to the Public Defender’s Office by gathering pertinent information needed for case preparation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Interviews clients in various correctional facilities, Public Defender’s Office and other locations to obtain information needed for case preparation.
· Locates and interviews witnesses and other persons who may provide pertinent case information.
· Gathers physical evidence necessary for case preparation such as photographs, medical records, police reports, employment records, etc.
· Serves and stops subpoenas; ensures data on subpoena is correct and maintains file of all subpoenas served.
· Transports witnesses to court, hearings and Public Defender’s Office for interviews as requested by attorneys.
· Follows up on leads provided by clients and/or by witnesses to gather additional information.
· Completes detailed written or oral reports of interviews conducted and submits to attorney.
· Picks up Duces Tecum documents, medical records, public records, FYI requests, and videos as required.
· Testifies in court about information obtained during investigation and service or non-service of subpoenas.
· Works with other Public Defender’s Offices on the city, state and federal level in interviewing, subpoenaing, obtaining needed records, etc. for cases and testifies as requested.
· Recommends the need for further information obtaining to records and interviewing witnesses and family members.
· Maintains accurate records of mileage and expenses incurred while conducting investigations and subpoena service.
· Performs other related duties as required.
Digital dexterity necessary for writing and keyboard operation.
Visual acuity needed for reading, crime scene canvasses and the use of computer screen.
Ability to hear and speak sufficiently to communicate information in person and by telephone.
Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Work performed primarily in a smoking restricted office environment with frequent traveling to various locations and high crime areas.
Completion of college level course work in Criminal Justice, Law or a related field; some experience in criminal investigations; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Arkansas driver’s license.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal background examination.
OPEN DATE: 10-08-2018 CLOSE DATE: 10-12-2018 (5:00p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
08 October 2018 309-18