POSITION: DEPUTY SHERIFF
This position is open to County Employees & the General Public.
POSITION NO: 052
STARTING SALARY: $33,330 - $37,897
DEPARTMENT: SHERIFF/ENFORCEMENT (500)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for enforcement of applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances in the protection of life and property for the citizens of Pulaski County.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Patrols county roads, residential areas, and business districts to enforce traffic and criminal laws and ordinances ensuring the safety of citizens and property; makes arrests and/or issues citations to violators as necessary.
- Responds to calls from citizens in need of law enforcement assistance (i.e., domestic disturbance, criminal mischief, burglaries, crimes in progress, traffic accidents, etc.); makes arrests and/or issues citations as necessary.
- Ensures crime scenes and related evidence are secure; processes crime scenes taking photographs and fingerprints; seizes and impounds property as necessary.
- Receives, tags, and stores evidence, found property, or property maintained for safekeeping in the property room; presents testimony and evidence in court.
- Investigates accidents and criminal activities; researches leads through interviews with victims, witnesses, and suspects, on-line research, and inspection of property/buildings.
- Prepares detailed incident, arrest, investigation, and related reports; enters data into computer; submits to supervisor for review.
- Completes daily activity report reflecting all work activities completed during shift.
- Transports prisoners to jail, to and from court, and to other law enforcement agencies.
- Attends community crime watch meetings and other community activities to promote crime reduction and community oriented policing by interacting with and educating district residents.
- Reports to structure fires and other emergencies/disasters as necessary to establish control of situation and ensure public safety and security of property; implements emergency and/or disaster procedures; coordinates activities with Emergency Management staff.
- Testifies in court and at hearings concerning investigations and citations and/or arrests.
- Qualifies with use of authorized weapons on a periodic basis.
Duties are performed in various locations within Pulaski County. Exposure to potentially dangerous and hazardous situations involving criminal activities is possible. Constant observation and vigilance is required to ensure personal safety. Duties may be performed in inclement weather conditions. Overtime may be required. Must be able to work on a variable shift basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of high school or GED equivalency.
- CLEST Certification within 1 year of hire.
- No felony convictions.
- 21 years of age.
- Must possess or be able to immediately obtain a valid Arkansas Driver’s License.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be able to provide proof when requested by Sheriff’s Department.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the following: criminal background investigation, drug screening, traffic offense check, sexual offender check, child and adult maltreatment checks, physical examination and psychological evaluation by appropriate licensed agencies.
NOTE: All applicants for the Deputy Sheriff must be able to provide, upon request, official documents for education and/or specialized training required for this position. Applicants must meet all standards for employment required by the State of Arkansas and regulated by the Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training (CLEST) within 1 year of employment.
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and the selecting official has received all applications.
08 October 2018 297-18