This position is open to the General Public and County Employees.
POSITION NO: 050
STARTING SALARY TO: $26,747 - $29,914
DEPARTMENT: ROAD AND BRIDGE (4400)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: To perform fleet maintenance and mechanical repair duties on engines, components and electrical systems of County vehicles and heavy equipment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Analyzes and diagnoses mechanical problems and malfunctions of engines including vehicles and heavy equipment utilizing the OTC monitor.
- Pulls, replaces or rebuilds front ends, ball joints, tire rod ends, springs, idle arms, shocks, ignition switches, etc. as needed for dump trucks and vehicles.
- Performs electrical work including repair and rebuilding of electronic brake systems, alternators, starters, and wiring.
- Analyzes ABS system failures and diagnoses needed brake work.
- Replaces brake shoes and pads, turns rotors and drums with brake lathe and packs wheel bearings on vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Services, replaces and recharges air conditioning units in vehicles as needed; calculates needed amount of refrigerant; replaces and recycles refrigerant through the air conditioning recovery, recycling and recharging system.
- Changes oil, lubricates vehicles and changes oil and air filters.
- Completes engine tune-ups, tire change and rotation and other maintenance work on vehicles, tractors, sweepers and other heavy equipment.
- Pulls and replaces air bag systems, gas tanks, dump truck tire bolts, rear springs, heater cores, power steering pumps, ignition switches, lights, and other vehicle parts/systems.
- Repairs vehicles in field when inoperable.
- Replaces computers in vehicles.
- Aligns front-end in vehicles utilizing FMC front-end alignment computer.
- Receives written work orders; records work completed for each vehicle and number of hours required for repair.
- Performs related duties as required.
- May be required to possess or obtain within 6 months of employment the ASE Refrigeration Recovery and Recycling Certification.
- Must possess or be able to obtain Motor Vehicle Inspection Certification.
- Must possess or be able to obtain Wagner Brake Certification.
- Must furnish own standard and metric hand tools.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment job related physical examination by an appropriate licensed agency.
- Subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch during vehicle repair.
- Ability to negotiate cramped spaces.
- Digital dexterity necessary to push and pull tools, push buttons, and turn levers.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Completion of high school or equivalency or vocational technical course in Automotive Mechanics; some experience with vehicle and/or equipment maintenance, malfunction, diagnosis, and repair; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
OPEN DATE: 09-14-2018 CLOSE DATE: 09-20-2018 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
14 September 2018 280-18