POSITION: SENIOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
This Position is open to County Employees and the General Public
POSITION NOS: 128
STARTING SALARY: $29,380 - $32,859
DEPARTMENT: ROAD & BRIDGE (4400)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIY: Responsible for the operation heavy equipment used in the construction and/or repair of roads and bridges within Pulaski County and to provide direction to a crew involved with road or bridge construction or maintenance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates heavy equipment such as dozer, scraper, front end loader, dragline, backhoe, track hoe, track loader, hot asphalt distributor, roller, sweeper, chip box, mower, drott ditch – digging machine, or flusher truck to perform skilled functions involved with road repair and maintenance.
- Operates dump truck hauling materials related to construction or repair.
- Ensures crew has necessary equipment and supplies each day prior to leaving for job site.
- Performs daily safety and preventative maintenance inspection on equipment prior to and after use; completes report noting problems with equipment.
- Makes minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment, such as changing oil, lubrication, or washing to ensure proper operation.
- Supervises the operation of all equipment on the job to ensure proper safety and operating procedures are being followed.
- Uses hand tools including chain saw and jack hammer as needed for assigned jobs.
- Completes daily written reports as required.
- Supervises the work of crew in absence of foreman ensuring safe and efficient performance of duties.
- Operates salt spreader in the event of icy roads.
- Operates forklift to load trucks.
- Performs labor duties such as raking or shoveling asphalt as needed for backup.
- Performs other related duties as required.
NUMBER OF PERSONNEL SUPERVISED: Provides lead supervision to assigned crew in the absence of Foreman.
Duties are performed in an outdoor environment with frequent exposure to undesirable weather conditions. Careful attention must be exercised with the operation of equipment and the directing of traffic to reduce exposure to injuries. Occasional evening and weekend work is required during inclement weather and other emergencies.
Completion of grade school; considerable work experience in the operation of heavy earth moving and construction equipment; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Must possess valid Arkansas Commercial driver’s license (CDL) - Class A, or be able to obtain within 6 months of employment. Some positions may require the N (Tank vehicle) endorsement.
Subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing in compliance with the regulations of the US Department of Transportation.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment job related physical examination by appropriate licensed agencies.
OPEN DATE: 08-06-2018 CLOSE DATE: 08-10-2018 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
06 August 2018 134-18