POSITION: CASE CLERK
This position is open to County Employees and the General Public.
POSITION NO: 055
STARTING SALARY: $25,430 - $28,442
DEPARTMENT: PROSECUTING ATTORNEY (2100)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the establishment and maintenance of all case files processed within the Prosecuting Attorney's Office; prepares and files all legal documents necessary for case prosecution.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Initiates case files for cases received from originating agencies; ensures all supporting documents are included; enters all case data into computer systems; prints labels and defendant cards for each case file.
- Orders any documents missing from case from appropriate agency; obtains prior criminal history from ACIC/NCIC computer.
- Assigns case to appropriate division based on type of crime such as drug, domestic violence or gang related; forwards to attorney to obtain file decision. Prints out witness list for assigned attorney.
- Maintains an index card file on all case files indicating status of case.
- Prepares felony information by writing charge as indicated by the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney; inputs charge into computer.
- Files felony charge information sheet with the Circuit Court's Office.
- Receives case number from the Circuit Clerk's Office; records number in computer and/or manual records.
- Prepares jury instructions and verdict sheets as specified by state law for charges indicated by attorney.
- Maintains records of all cases in pending case files, closed case files or files checked out to Deputy Prosecuting Attorneys.
- Receives weekly court dockets; pulls all needed case files for review by Deputy Prosecuting Attorneys.
- Prepares PEN orders to bring prisoners from penitentiary, other jails or youth correction facilities for court appearances as defendants or witnesses; obtains judges' signature and files with the Circuit Clerk's Office.
- Prepares subpoenas, motions, responses to motions, judgments, orders, writs, etc. as requested by attorneys; obtains appropriate signature and files with the courts.
- Mails to defendants' attorney copies of all motions filed with the court.
- Receives case files from attorneys showing case dispositions; prepares judgements, commitments and amendments for case disposition such as probation, suspended imposition, acquittals by mental disease, etc. reflecting exact instructions of the court.
- Inputs case disposition into computer; closes case files.
- Prepares extradition papers as requested by Deputy Prosecuting Attorneys; sends to Governor's Office for signature.
- Pulls files and cards upon receipt of Motions for Expungement.
- Conducts research in response to FOI requests; copies files as needed; collects fees for copies.
- Answers questions concerning case status and court times for witnesses, defendants, and attorneys; ensures confidentiality of all juvenile records and other records as required.
- Assists the public with completion of complaint forms; answers questions concerning processes involved with filing a compliant through the Prosecutor's Office.
- Maintains computerized records of complaints filed and actions taken.
- Type letters and correspondence for Law Clerks as requested.
- Collects payment for hot checks as backup for Hot Check Administrator.
- Answers and directs phone calls; greets visitors to the Prosecutor's Offices.
- Distributes mail to appropriate offices within the Prosecutor's Office.
- Makes travel reservations and arrangements for victims and witnesses.
- Type transcripts and other documents by use of a transcription machine as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of high school or equivalent with advanced secretarial training including word processing;
- Some experience in the clerical recordkeeping, legal secretarial or a related area; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Must be able to become a notary public.
- Must be able to obtain ACIC/NCIC certification within three months of employment.
- Good typing skills required.
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background examination.
OPEN DATE: 07-12-2018 CLOSE DATE: 07-18-2018 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
12 July 2018 211-18