POSITION: LEAD BUYER
The following position is open to Pulaski County Employees and the General Public.
POSITION NO: 008
STARTING SALARY: $32,014 - $35,805
DEPARTMENT: COMPTROLLER (4100)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY / FUNCTION: Responsible for receipt and evaluation of purchase requests, preparation of formal bid requests, and ensuring the purchase of quality goods and supplies at the lowest available price; provides guidance to Buyers and oversees the maintenance of an accurate accounting of Pulaski County’s fixed asset inventory.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reviews purchase requests for compliance with purchasing laws and policies; determines appropriate purchase procedure based on estimated cost of purchase; ensures Quorum Court approval for specific capital outlay items.
- Compiles formal bid packages including the writing of bid specifications, selection of bidder list, and preparation of special instructions necessary to meet legal requirements.
- Evaluates bids for compliance with regulations and specifications; reviews vendor selection submitted by department for effective selection.
- Prepares Requests for Proposals to obtain vendor-prepared project or service options.
- Contacts vendors to obtain informal telephone or written quotes for purchases when appropriate.
- Writes and places legal advertisements.
- Prepares contracts for purchases and services ensuring compliance with County Purchasing Policy and applicable State and Federal law; obtains all necessary signatures.
- Reviews purchase orders and invoices to verify amounts charged and to ensure the information needed by Accounting is accurate; explains purchasing policies and procedures to other County departments and vendors as required.
- Assigns a purchase order number and logs into computer database.
- Researches products to determine appropriate specifications when needed and available vendors for desired products.
- Contacts new vendors to establish interest in making competitive bids on goods and/or services.
- Enters vendors into the database in the designated supplier areas.
- Opens and records bids presented at formal bid openings; forwards copies to the appropriate department.
- Obtains selection factor ratings from departments.
- Ensures bonding and liability insurance is provided by vendor within construction bids.
- Places orders for materials once purchase award has been made; processes change orders for construction project purchasing.
- Organizes and maintains annual contract files, closed bid packages, product information library, and other related information.
- Monitors contracts for upcoming expirations; notifies departments on a timely basis when contracts must be re-bid; negotiates renewals as needed.
- Monitors service and products provided by vendors; recommends suspension from vendor list to Assistant Comptroller when appropriate.
- Maintains log of all actions taken during bid process including vendors contacted, method of contact, and all other related actions.
- Orders items available on State and National contracts.
- Maintains records and prepares various reports reflecting purchase information.
- Conducts training for vendors, Buyers, and user departments as needed.
- Reviews P-Card purchases to ensure compliance with budgetary and purchasing regulations.
- Supervises the Fixed Asset Inventory records for all departments; ensures the accuracy of inventory database.
- Oversees the County Auction and sale of surplus equipment.
- Reviews requisitions for purchases, item specifications, legal advertisements, bid openings and awards, purchase orders, amendments, and term contracts prepared and/or conducted by buyers.
- Provides direction and guidance to Buyers in the event of absence of supervisor.
- Assists supervisor with development and update of purchasing policy and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
NUMBER OF PERSONNEL SUPERVISED: Provides lead supervision to two Buyers.
Duties are performed primarily in a smoking restricted office environment.
Completion of college level or business school coursework in Purchasing, Marketing, Business Administration, or a related field; considerable work experience with purchasing or a related area; some work experience in a supervisory or leadership capacity; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
PREFER: Certification as a Professional Public Buyer by the National Institute of Government Purchasing within one year of employment
Satisfactory completion of a criminal background examination.
OPEN DATE: 06-08-18 CLOSE DATE: 06-14-18(5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
06 June 2018 171-18