POSITION: JUVENILE DETENTION OFFICER
This position is open to County Employees & the General Public.
POSITION NO: 028
STARTING SALARY: $32,014 - $35,805
DEPARTMENT: JUVENILE DETENTION (120)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY / FUNCTION: Responsible for the supervision, control and safety of juveniles detained in the Pulaski County Juvenile Detention facility and the maintenance of related records and reports.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Receives juveniles from various law enforcement agencies and verifies proper paperwork is provided for legal detainment.
- Interviews juveniles to obtain basic personal information and medical history; completes intake paperwork.
- Explains policies and procedures of Juvenile Detention Center to juveniles.
- Performs necessary searches and seizures of weapons and illegal substances as required by law.
- Fingerprints juveniles and ensures proper storage of personal clothing and property.
- Distributes clothing and personal hygiene items to juveniles as required.
- Notifies juveniles’ families/guardian of admission to the Juvenile Detention Center.
- Monitors juveniles’ visitation and telephone conversations according to departmental policy.
- Observes juveniles on a constant basis according to Departmental guidelines ensuring compliance with security standards.
- Conducts established recreational programs with juveniles.
- Transports juveniles to and from courts, treatment and diagnostic units, and other facilities in accordance with security policy.
- Completes daily and weekly facility reports, incident reports, court lists, daily intake log and other records as required.
- Transports laundry, food trays and other supplies from appropriate county facilities to detention center.
- Responds to emergencies or disciplinary problems with juveniles according to pre-established department rules.
- Cleans detention facilities as assigned.
- Conducts daily room searches.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Work is performed primarily within a controlled detention environment. Interaction with hostile and/or agitated juveniles is required. Occasional transporting of youth to other facilities is required. Shift assignment may change as directed by the supervisor. Occasional trips to various locations for training are required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High School graduation or (GED equivalency).
- Some experience working with juveniles; OR
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Must be able to work overtime and work variable shifts.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Valid Arkansas Driver’s license.
- Must obtain the Juvenile Detention Officer Certification within one year of hire.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the following pre-employment requirements: criminal background check (no previous felony convictions), sexual offender check, child maltreatment check, drug screening, and a physical examination and psychological evaluation by appropriate licensed agencies. Random drug testing.
Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
17 May 2018 144-18