POSITION: HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
This position is open to County Employees and the General Public
POSITION NO: 033
STARTING SALARY: $28,064 - $31,387
DEPARTMENT: ROAD & BRIDGE (4400)
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position pursuant to Arkansas Act 593.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for safely driving and operating equipment used in the road construction and maintenance.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Drives dump truck; hauling gravel, dirt, asphalt, or needed materials in construction and repair of roads and bridges.
- Operates an asphalt distributor to spray hot asphalt sealer on road surfaces.
- Operates a roller to press down asphalt.
- Operates a street sweeper to clean gravel and debris from the road surface.
- Operates a dozer for cutting or moving dirt, rocks, and trees to clear land for roads.
- Operates grader for cutting ditches, spreading gravel and grading roads.
- Operates a Rosco flush truck to clear culverts of roots and debris.
- Operates a scraper in the moving of dirt and clearing land for roads.
- Operates front end loader, backhoe, track hoe and track loader to clean ditches, install culverts, load materials into truck and other road construction and maintenance duties.
- Performs daily safety and preventative maintenance inspection on equipment prior to and after use; completes inspection check list noting any problems with equipment.
- Makes minor onsite repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment such as changing oil, lubrication, and washing to ensure proper operation.
- Performs labor such as raking and shoveling asphalt as needed for backup.
- Writes daily reports concerning the work performed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Digital dexterity necessary to push and pull levers, push buttons, and turn steering wheels in order to operate equipment.
- Ability to make frequent torso and head turns to monitor the operation of equipment and the location of other workers and traffic.
- Visual acuity necessary to ensure efficient work completion and the safety of citizens and fellow workers.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Duties are performed in an outdoor environment with frequent exposure to undesirable weather conditions. Careful attention must be exercised with the operation of equipment and the directing of traffic to reduce exposure to injuries. Occasional evening and weekend work is required during inclement weather and other emergencies.
- Completion of grade school; considerable work experience in the operation of medium to heavy earth moving and/or construction equipment; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Must possess a valid Arkansas Commercial Driver's license (CDL) - Class A, or be able to obtain within six months of employment. Some positions may require the N (Tank vehicle) endorsement.
Subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing in compliance with the regulations of the US Department of Transportation.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment job related physical examination by appropriate licensed agencies.
OPEN DATE: 04-13-2018 CLOSE DATE: 04-19-2018 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
13 April 2018 103-18