POSITION: SENIOR MECHANIC
This position is open to County Employees and the General Public.
POSITION #: 142
ANNUAL SALARY: $36,622
DEPARTMENT: ROAD & BRIDGE (4400)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: To perform a variety of technical maintenance and major repair duties on engines, components, and electrical systems of County vehicles and heavy equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes and diagnoses major mechanical problems and malfunctions on all types of engines including vehicles and heavy equipment utilizing the OTC monitor.
- Pulls, replaces or rebuilds front ends, ball joints, tie rod ends, springs, shocks, idle arms, etc., as needed for dump trucks and/or vehicles.
- Pulls, replaces or rebuilds gasoline and diesel engines for vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Performs major electrical work including repair and rebuilding of electronic brake systems, alternators, starters, and wiring.
- Analyzes ABS brake system failures and diagnoses needed brake work.
- Replaces brake shoes and pads, turns rotors and drum with brake lathe and packs wheel bearings on vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Services, replaces and recharges air conditioning units in vehicles as needed; calculates needed amount of refrigerant; replaces and recycles refrigerant through air conditioning recovery, recycling and recharging system. Changes oil, lubricates vehicle, and changes oil and air filters.
- Completes engine tune-ups, tire change and rotation and other maintenance work on vehicles, tractors, sweepers and other heavy equipment.
- Pulls and replaces air bag systems, gas tanks, dump truck tire bolts, rear springs, heater cores, power steering pumps, ignition switches, lights, and other vehicle parts/systems.
- Repair vehicles in field when inoperable. Replaces computers in vehicles.
- Aligns front ends in vehicles utilizing FMC front end alignment computer.
- Overhauls rear ends and front ends of dump trucks and garbage trucks.
- Receives written work orders; records work completed for each vehicle and number of hours required for repair.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch during vehicle repair.
- Ability to negotiate cramped spaces.
- Digital dexterity necessary to push and pull tools, push buttons and turn levers.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Completion of high school or vocational technical course in Automotive Mechanics; considerable experience with vehicle and/or equipment maintenance, malfunction diagnosis and repair; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Must posses a valid Arkansas Class B CDL license or be able to obtain one within six months of employment. Must possess or be able to obtain within six months ASE Refrigeration, Recovery, and Recycling Certification. Must possess or be able to obtain a Motor Vehicle Inspection Certification. Must possess or be able to obtain Wagner Brake Certification. Must furnish own standard and metric hand tools. Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the following pre-employment requirements: job related physical examination and drug screening. Subject to random drug testing in compliance with the regulations of the US Department of Transportation.
OPEN DATE: 02-12-2018 CLOSE DATE: 02-16-2018 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
12 February 2018 048-18