POSITION: ACCOUNTING MANAGER
This position is open to County Employees and the General Public.
POSITION NO: 004
STARTING SALARY: $36,388 - $40,930
DEPARTMENT: COMPTROLLER (4100)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the efficient payment of all County accounts payable and the compliance with all Federal, State, and County laws, regulations and ordinances governing payment of County funds; Provides expenditure analysis to ensure fund availability and identification of expenditure trends.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establishes and maintains internal policies and procedures for reports and maintaining records of accounting procedures; maintains accounts payable policy manual including all related policies and procedures.
- Conducts training sessions for elected officials, department heads, and appropriate staff concerning accounts payable processes and policies. Processes accounts payable vouchers ensuring compliance with contract stipulations, bid procedures, lease agreements, purchase orders, and budget intent.
- Ensures review of vouchers for correct account number, invoice number, invoice amount, vendor address, mathematical accuracy, and sales tax calculation; ensures the assignment of voucher and vendor numbers.
- Compiles monthly Statement of Operation, Cash Disbursement Register, Voucher Register, Outstanding Purchase Order, budget transfers, and voucher change reports for all County and grant departments from computer records.
- Balances purchase journal daily with vouchers processed. Processes all bulk invoices including utilities, telephones, procurement card purchases, air travel, internet access accounts, and special contracts ensuring accurate billing for each department and account tracking; prepares vouchers to issue accounts payable check for bulk invoices.
- Balances monthly vendor statements with invoices submitted by departments. Researches invoices reflecting unpaid balances to identify any billing errors or improper account application. Initiates and processes journal entries into budget accounts for corrections inaccuracies and voided checks. Analyzes financial transactions and relevant records for interpretation of past budget administration and fund expenditure trends.
- Monitors actual account balances to ensure requested purchases and expenditures from departments will not exceed fund availability; communicates these over expenditures to elected officials or department heads and assists with resolutions.
- Determines which vendors require IRS Form 1099; runs and balances 1099 Forms annually; mails 1099 Forms to vendors in a timely manner. Researches vouchers using past payment records. Prepares special reports for Comptroller as requested utilizing personal computer software; identifies and prioritizes any needed programming changes.
- Answers questions from and resolves problems with vendors concerning payment of bills such as accounts included in each payment, expected time of payment, and appropriate application of payment funds. Reconciles purchase card for all County departments; reviews transaction usage, ensures all required documentation is available, authorizes purchase increases, resets passwords, add & delete users, and suspend capability of use.
- Calculates every expense over $2,500.00 for tax rebate, reports rebates to the State of Arkansas for refund. Calculates necessary sales and excise tax when vendor has not charged County; submits monthly to the State of Arkansas; answers vendors’ questions as needed.
- Compares vendor reporting to the IRS Taxpayer Identification number on-line database to prevent penalties with the IRS. Determines when program changes need to be made with the accounts payable modules.
- Ensures the timely submittal to Treasurer’s Office of FICA vouchers; ensures checks are printed within IRS deadlines.
- Ensures the timely data entry into computer and submittal to Treasurer’s Office of all benefit vouchers including health insurance, life insurance, and retirement.
- Maintains log of travel reimbursement vouchers; reports taxable amount to payroll. Answers questions from County employees regarding accounts payable processes or procedures, current budget totals, travel policy, or petty cash reimbursement. Provides past usage amounts for departments and accounts for use in budget preparation.
- Maintains accounting records for Pulaski County Garden Center Coop. Maintains expenditure code list, up-to-date vendor list, and list of authorized signatures to sign departmental vouchers. Reviews Election Commission vouchers to determine if vouchers are to be paid through Payroll or Accounts Payable.
- Performs other related duties as required.
NUMBER OF PERSONNEL SUPERVISED: Provides supervision to 2 Accounts Payable Technician positions.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed indoors in a smoking restricted environment on an assigned shift basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Completion of college level coursework in Accounting or related field; considerable work experience in an accounting or business financial recordkeeping area; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Satisfactory completion of a criminal background examination.
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and the selecting official has received all applications.
13 November 2017 316-17