POSITION: EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
This position is open to County Employees and the General Public
POSITION NO: 061
STARTING SALARY: $26,964 - $30,332
DEPARTMENT: ROAD AND BRIDGE (4400)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the operation of a dump truck used for transportation of material and equipment for repair and maintenance of roads and operation of equipment used in repairing roads.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Drives dump truck carrying asphalt, gravel, dirt, chips or other material to job sites; unloads materials as needed.
- Operate a roller to smooth asphalt on road surfaces.
- Inspects asphalt prior to loading for proper quality to ensure adherence to road surface.
- Operates hydraulic sweeper to clean roads.
- Operates truck and trailer to transport heavy equipment to job sites.
- Operates mower or bush hog in the cutting of grass, weeds or trees on property surrounding roads.
- Operates front end loader or backhoe to load trucks with gravel, dirt, etc.
- Conducts daily safety and preventative maintenance inspection on equipment prior to and after use; completes report noting problems with equipment.
- Operates salt spreader in the event of icy roads.
- Makes minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment such as changing oil, lubrication, and washing to ensure proper operation.
- Operates road grader to spread gravel or asphalt.
- Directs traffic or public around construction sites as needed.
- Operates shoulder machine to clear the edge of the road surface.
- Performs labor such as raking or shoveling as needed for backup.
- Mixes chemical for weed control and pesticide purposes; operates tank truck to spray on the side of the road.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Digital dexterity necessary to push and pull levers, push buttons, and turn steering wheels in order to operate equipment.
- Ability to make frequent torso and head turns to monitor the operation of equipment and the location of other workers and traffic.
- Visual acuity necessary to ensure efficient work completion and the safety of citizens and fellow workers.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Duties are performed in an outdoor environment with frequent exposure to undesirable weather conditions. Careful attention must be exercised with the operation of equipment and the directing of traffic to reduce exposure to injuries. Occasional evening and weekend work is required during inclement weather and other emergencies.
- High school graduate or GED equivalency.
- Some experience in the operation of light and medium duty trucks and trailers; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Must possess a valid Arkansas Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class A or Class B or be able to obtain within six (6) months of employment.
- Some positions may require the N (Tank vehicle) endorsement.
Subject to Pre-Employment and Random Drug and Alcohol Screening in compliance with the regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
OPEN DATE: 11-09-2017 CLOSE DATE: 11-16-2017 (5:00 p.m.)
The Human Resources Office will be closed on Friday, November 10, 2017, in observance of the Veteran’s Day holiday.
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
09 November 2017 314-17