POSITION: SHOP FOREMAN
This position is open to the County Employees and the General Public.
POSITION NO: 016
STARTING SALARY: $33,691 - $37,897
DEPARTMENT: ROAD & BRIDGE (4400)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: To supervise the technical maintenance and major repair duties on engines, components, and electrical systems of County vehicles and heavy equipment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Receives requests for engine repair and maintenance work for County owned vehicles and equipment; reviews and assigns jobs to Mechanics.
- Provides guidance to Mechanics in the diagnosis and repair of mechanical malfunctions of engines in vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Test drives and reviews the work performed within the vehicle repair shop.
- Ensures strict adherence to safety policies and procedures within the vehicle repair shop.
- Monitors parts inventory to ensure parts are available as needed.
- Trains mechanics in equipment usage and vehicle repair as needed.
- Analyzes and diagnoses major mechanical problems and malfunctions on all types of engines including vehicles and heavy equipment utilizing the OTC monitor.
- Pulls, replaces or rebuilds front ends, ball joints, tie rod ends, springs, shocks, idle arms, etc., as needed for dump trucks and/or vehicles.
- Pull, replaces or rebuilds gasoline and diesel engines for vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Performs major electrical work including repair and rebuilding of electronic brake systems, alternators, starters, and wiring.
- Analyzes ABS brake system failures and diagnoses needed brake work.
- Replaces brake shoes and pads, turns rotors and drum with brake lathe and packs wheel bearings on vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Services, replaces and recharges air conditioning units in vehicles as needed; calculates needed amount of refrigerant; replaces and recycles refrigerant through air conditioning recovery, recycling and recharging system.
- Changes oil, lubricates vehicle, and changes oil and air filters.
- Completes engines tune-ups, tire change and rotation and other maintenance work on vehicles, tractors, sweepers and other heavy equipment.
- Pulls and replaces air bag systems, gas tanks, dump truck tire bolts, rear springs, heater cores, power steering pumps, ignition switches, lights, and other vehicle parts/system.
- Repair vehicles in field when inoperable.
- Replaces computers in vehicles.
- Aligns front ends in vehicles utilizing FMC front end alignment computer.
- Overhauls rear ends and front ends of dump trucks and garbage trucks.
- Receives written work orders; records work completed for each vehicle and number of hours required for repair.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50lbs.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel and crouch during vehicle repair.
- Ability to negotiate cramped spaces.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Digital dexterity necessary to push and pull tools, push buttons, and turn levers.
The majority of work is performed in a vehicle repair garage subject to noise and equipment operation.
Completion of high school or vocational technical course in Automotive Mechanics; considerable experience with vehicle and/or equipment maintenance, malfunction diagnosis, and repair including some supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Must possess or be able to obtain within 6 months of employment ASE Refrigeration, Recovery, and Recycling Certification.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a Wagner Brake Certification.
- Must furnish own standard and metric hand tools.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment job related physical examination by an appropriate licensed agency.
- Subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing.
OPEN DATE: 10/12/2017 CLOSE DATE: 10/17/2017
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
12 October 2017 292-17