POSITION: LANDSCAPE TECHNICIAN
This position is open to the County Employees and the General Public.
POSITION NO: 04
STARTING SALARY: $29,121 – $32,758
DEPARTMENT: Two Rivers Park Maintenance / Road & Bridge
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the design and maintenance of the landscaped areas and grounds surrounding County buildings and Garden Center.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains all plants within the landscaped areas of County buildings ensuring adequate amounts of fertilizer, insecticides, herbicides, and water are applied.
- Selects and purchases plants for landscaping around County buildings based on amount of sunlight, shade, drainage, and availability of water.
- Positions plants, trees, flowers, shrubs, etc., ensuring optimal health of plants, beauty, and functional usage.
- Maintains lawns surrounding County buildings and at Garden Center using lawn mowers, weed eaters, and blowers.
- Prunes, trees, shrubs, bushes, etc., as needed at appropriate time of year.
- Purchases appropriate fertilizer, insecticides, herbicides, and other needed chemicals to maintain plant life.
- Removes leaves, branches, and other debris from County grounds.
- Cuts branches and plants using hand tools.
- Maintains records of all chemicals applied to plant life on County grounds.
- Obtains soil samples on a periodic basis from County Extension Services; maintains log of results of all soil samples.
- Assess water and drainage needs for landscaped area; determines appropriate draining system and needed water supply for area.
- Designs landscaping on County grounds including flowerbeds, plant boxes, walk areas; etc.
- Maintains rose garden fountain ensuring proper functioning.
- Conducts routine maintenance of lawn maintenance power equipment as needed.
- Installs, repairs, and maintains sprinkler systems in landscaped areas.
- Maintains inventory of all equipment, tools, and chemicals used in landscape maintenance.
- Conducts proper winterizing of plants to ensure survival through cold weather.
- Assigns and supervises the work of two to four inmates performing landscaping duties.
- Picks up inmates and supplies in County vehicles as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Ability to bend, stoop, and crouch when planting, weeding, weed-eating, or similar duties
Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 pounds
Visual acuity needed to detect discoloration of growth problems in plants and to assess condition of grounds
Ability to walk and push a lawn mower to cut grass
Ability to concentrate for long periods of time
Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
Duties are performed primarily outdoors with exposure to a variety of types of weather conditions. Requires occasional travel to other areas of the County.
Completion of high school with advanced training in landscaping and horticulture; considerable work experience with plant care, landscape design and maintenance, grounds maintenance, or a related area; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge, or abilities.
Must possess or be able to immediately obtain a valid Arkansas Driver’s License.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment job related physical examination by an appropriate licensed agency.
OPEN DATE: 09-08-2017 CLOSE DATE: 09-14-2017 (5:00pm)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
08 September 2017 265-17