POSITION: ASSISTANT COMPTROLLER
POSITION NO: 03
STARTING SALARY: $50,208 - $56,478
DEPARTMENT: COMPTROLLER (4100)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the maintenance and reporting of complex financial accounting records, for the administration of appropriated budget funds, and oversight and management of accounts payable and purchasing for all County departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversees budget accounts, grants, and contracts ensuring funds are expended according to appropriation ordinance, statutes, and regulations.
- Initiates and processes journal entries into budget accounts for corrections to inaccuracies, voided checks, housing payments, fleet maintenance charges, and various other accounts.
- Records, classifies, and summarizes financial transactions and documentation including expenditures, expenses, and fixed asset records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; prepares monthly reports reflecting all transactions and fixed asset levels.
- Maintains sub ledgers of the general ledger balancing amounts keyed in by the Accounting and Payroll Divisions with funds distributed; reconciles personal deductions for employee-purchased benefits and processes vendor payments.
- Analyzes financial transactions and relevant records for interpretation of past budget administration and fund expenditure trends.
- Monitors actual account balances to ensure requested purchases and expenditures from departments will not exceed fund availability; communicates these over expenditures to elected officials or department heads and assists with resolutions.
- Develops complex financial reports for forecasting, trending, and result analysis of spending patterns within department budget accounts.
- Advises departments in developing appropriate expenditure schedule to facilitate County budget administration.
- Provides information to elected officials, staff, general public, and outside organizations explaining accounting transactions.
- Analyzes financial situations and events for County Departments to assist with making appropriate purchases, lease, and line item appropriation decisions.
- Assigns and reviews the work activities of the Purchasing and Accounting Division staff.
- Ensures proper purchasing procedures are followed in the purchase of supplies, equipment, and contracts for County departments; issues invitations to bid for major purchases as required by State law and/or County ordinance.
- Prepares or directs preparation of formal bid specifications for items to be purchased by competitive bids; prepares bid specifications for proposed construction projects in accordance with State law and/or County ordinances.
- Negotiates, awards, and administers complex County contracts for contractual obligations.
- Directs the annual County-Wide Auction for equipment and supplies, including publishing required legal advertisements and reviewing proposed sale of surplus items to ensure the proposed prices reflect fair market prices.
- Provides technical information and assistance to Purchasing and Accounting personnel and employees of other County Departments regarding purchasing procedures, development of bid specifications, purchasing laws and ordinances, approximate cost of items requested, accounts payable procedures.
- Determines the types of materials or services to be excluded from regular purchasing processes due to emergency situations, sole source conditions, or special exemptions based on specific needs of County departments.
- Monitors purchase requisitions for purchases which result in the capitalization of a fixed asset.
- Supervises the Fixed Asset Inventory on all county equipment; ensures compliance with Legislative Audit requirements.
- Negotiates joint purchasing agreements with other municipalities.
- Coordinates and negotiates volume purchases.
- Recommends changes in purchasing and accounts payable procedures and record keeping to the comptroller; maintains purchasing and accounts payable manuals.
- Approves all purchase orders, ensuring compliance, correct account coding, and adequate funding in accordance with County, Federal, and State regulations.
- Provides required training for purchasing and accounting personnel and for County departments.
- Maintain all County leases and contracts.
- Serves as back up to the Comptroller providing supervision to the Payroll and Grants Divisions and the Administrative Assistant in the absence of the Comptroller; approves payment of accounts payable and payroll vouchers in the absence of the Comptroller.
- Performs other related duties as required.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field; extensive experience in Finance/Accounting Administration including considerable supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Satisfactory completion of a criminal background examination.
OPEN DATE: 08-11-2017 CLOSE DATE: 08-17-2017 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and the selecting official has received all applications.
11 August 2017 234-17