POSITION: SENIOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
This Position is open to County Employees and the General Public
POSITION NOS: 128
STARTING SALARY: $29,995 - $33,741
DEPARTMENT: ROAD & BRIDGE (4400)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY/FUNCTION: Responsible for the operation of heavy equipment used in the construction and/or repair of roads and bridges within Pulaski County and to provide direction to a crew involved with road or bridge construction or maintenance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates heavy equipment such as dozer, scraper, front end loader, dragline, back hoe, track hoe, track loader, hot asphalt distributor, roller, sweeper, chip box, mower, drott ditch-digging machine, or flusher truck to perform skilled functions involved with road repair and maintenance.
- Operates dump truck hauling materials related to construction or repair.
- Ensures crew has necessary equipment and supplies each day prior to leaving for job site.
- Performs daily safety and preventative maintenance inspection on equipment prior to and after use; completes report noting problems with equipment.
- Makes minor repairs and preventative maintenance on equipment, such as changing oil, lubrication, or washing to ensure proper operation.
- Supervises the operation of all equipment on the job to ensure proper safety and operating procedures are being followed.
- Uses hand tools including chain saw and jack hammer as needed for assigned jobs.
- Completes daily written reports as required.
- Supervises the work of crew in absent of foreman ensuring safe and efficient performance of duties.
- Operates salt spreader in the event of icy roads.
- Operates forklift to load trucks.
- Performs labor duties such as raking or shoveling asphalt as needed for back up.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Digital dexterity necessary to push and pull levers, push buttons, and turn steering wheels in order to operate equipment.
- Ability to make frequent torso and head turns to monitor the operation of equipment and the location of other workers and traffic.
- Visual acuity necessary to ensure efficient work completion and the safety of citizens and fellow workers.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50 lbs.
Duties are performed in an outdoor environment with frequent exposure to undesirable weather conditions. Careful attention must be exercised with the operation of equipment and the directing of traffic to reduce exposure to injuries. Occasional evening and weekend work is required during inclement weather and other emergencies.
- Completion of grade school;
- Considerable work experience with the operation of heavy earth moving and construction equipment; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Must possess a valid Arkansas Commercial Driver's license (CDL) Class A. Some positions may require the N (Tank vehicle) endorsement.
Subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol screening in compliance with the regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment job related physical examination by appropriate licensed agencies.
OPEN DATE: 08-11-2017 CLOSE DATE: 08-17-2017 (5:00 p.m.)
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted after the Close Date. A selection will not be made until the Close Date and all applications have been received by the selecting official.
11 August 2017 231-17